The Associate in Science (AS) degree prepares an individual for transfer to a four-year college or university. Consistent with the IAI model and the ICCB Administrative Rules, City Colleges of Chicago requires that the degree is inclusive of a minimum of 37 semester hours of General Education. For students who already know they are interested in science, technology, engineering, or mathematics (the “STEM” fields), the Associate in Science degree, or even the Associate in Engineering Science (AES), is probably the one to pursue. This is also a transfer degree, and it is similar to the Associate in Arts. The main difference early-on concerns the selection of specific math and science courses, which will be different for students who want to major in a STEM field. Again, working closely with your advisor will ensure that you enroll in the right classes to achieve your goals.
Students are required to take at least one course that fulfills the State of Illinois Human Diversity (HD) requirement for the Associate in Science degree.
|SPEECH 101||Fundamentals of Speech Communication||3|
|Social and Behavioral Sciences||6|
|Fine Arts & Humanities 1||6|
|Physical Sciences & Life Sciences 2||10|
|Students should work with a College Advisor to select appropriate core and elective courses, or simply select an AS semester map as a guide.||23|
At least one (1) of the courses must be from the Fine Arts category, and at least one (1) must be from the Humanities category.
At least one (1) of the courses must be from the Physical Sciences category, and at least one (1) must be from the Life Sciences category. At least one (1) lab course is required.
At least one course must meet the Human Diversity (HD) requirement.
AS Transfer Pathways
Recommended electives may vary by transfer institution. Choose your courses with your College Advisor.
- Biology Education, Associate in Science
- Biology, Associate in Science
- Chemistry Education, Associate in Science
- Chemistry, Associate in General Studies
- Computer Science, Associate in Science
- Environmental Biology, Associate in Science
- General Science Education, Associate in Science
- Geology, Earth, and Environmental Science, Associate in Science
- Human Development and Family Studies, Associate in Arts
- Mathematics Education, Associate in Science
- Mathematics, Associate in Science
- Physics Education, Associate in Science
- Physics, Associate in Science
- Pre-Aviation, Associate in Science
- Web Development, Associate in Science